While the Aharoni family generally leans towards fruit-filled desserts, this gluten-free cake takes center stage at their Passover table and is a favorite year round, particularly when it’s served with coffee.
To ensure the cake is a success, be sure to pay close attention to the whipping and folding instructions in the recipe. And, to prevent it from crumbling when sliced, let the cake set in the refrigerator for at least two hours and up to overnight. Once it has cooled, cover it tightly with plastic wrap.
The Dorotaim project brings together two generations of cooks within the same family who share a recipe that tells a story and connects them to tradition. If you would like to participate, write to us at [email protected].
250 grams (8.8 oz) dark chocolate, cut into cubes
120 grams (8½ tablespoons) butter, cut into cubes
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
A pinch of salt
100 grams (½ cup) sugar
5 eggs, separated
- Preheat the oven to 165 (325F). Grease a 22cm (8½-inch) springform cake pan with butter, then line the base with parchment paper.
- Melt the chocolate and butter in a double boiler (bain-marie) or the microwave. Remove from the heat and mix. Add vanilla extract and a pinch of salt and mix well.
- Place the egg whites and 50 grams (¼ cup) sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment and beat to stiff peaks. Carefully transfer to a clean bowl, so the peaks maintain their volume.
- Place the egg yolks and the remaining sugar in the mixer bowl (no need to clean it) and beat to a light and fluffy mixture, about 5 minutes (do not rush this step).
- Fold the chocolate into the egg yolk mixture until combined. Carefully fold a third of the egg white mixture into the chocolate batter until combined. Repeat this step with the remaining mixture, adding one third at a time.
- Transfer the batter to the cake pan and spread to an even layer. Bake for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean with moist crumbs. The cake should be crispy and slightly cracked on top, but still soft in the center.
- Remove from the oven and cool slightly before transferring to the refrigerator for at least 2 hours, until set.
- Remove the cake from the pan, transfer to a serving plate and serve.