No meal or celebration table in a Palestinian home is complete without a large plate of tabbouleh; an herb salad with bulgar, generously seasoned with lemon and olive oil. In this recipe, chef Muzna Bishara reimagines the traditional tabbouleh as a nutritious and refreshing salad with mung beans, freekeh, zucchini, and a vinaigrette dressing made with carob molasses.
- ¼ cup freekeh
- ¼ cup mung beans
- 3 cups chopped parsley leaves
- 1 cup chopped mint leaves
- ⅔ cup chopped green onions
- 3 small zucchini, finely chopped
- 2 cucumbers, finely chopped
- ½ small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon green hot chili pepper, finely chopped
- For the dressing:
- 3 tablespoons carob molasses
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander seeds
- ½ tablespoon ground sumac
- Salt, to taste
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- Cook the mung beans and freekeh in boiling salted water (as you would cook pasta), until they soften but retain their shape, about 20 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water.
- Place the dressing ingredients in a jar, cover, and shake well.
- Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl and serve immediately.